Extending Trump Tax Cuts Would Add $4.6 Trillion to Deficit: CBO
Borrow & Spend tRUMP
2024-05-10 18:39:07 UTC
Extending Trump Tax Cuts Would Add $4.6 Trillion to Deficit: CBO

"We can't afford 10 more years of giveaways to the wealthy and corporations
and fail to invest in the people who drive our economy," said the head of
Groundwork Collaborative. "This tax law should expire."
Jessica Corbett
May 08, 2024
6

As former U.S. President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans
campaign on extending their 2017 tax cuts if elected in November, a
government analysis revealed Wednesday that doing so would add $4.6
trillion to the national deficit.

When Trump signed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act during his first term, the
initial estimated cost was $1.9 trillion. Last year, the Congressional
Budget Office (CBO) projected that extending policies set to expire next
year would cost $3.5 trillion through 2033.

The new CBO report—sought by U.S. Senate Budget Committee Chair Sheldon
Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.)
—says continuing the income, business, and estate tax cuts will now cost
$4.6 trillion through 2034.

"The Republican tax plan is to double down on Trump's handouts to
corporations and the wealthy, run the deficit into the stratosphere, and
make it impossible to save Medicare and Social Security or help families
with the cost of living in America."

Responding in a statement Wednesday, the senators cited an Institute on
Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) estimate that "extending the Trump tax
cuts would create a $112.6 billion windfall for the top 5% of income
earners in the first year alone."

They also slammed their GOP colleagues, who Whitehouse said "are awfully
eager to shield their megadonors from paying taxes."

He recalled that just last year, "Republicans held our entire economy
hostage," refusing to raise the debt ceiling and risking the first-ever
U.S. default, because they didn't want the Internal Revenue Service to get
more funding to "go after wealthy tax cheats."

"Remember the Trump tax scam cutting taxes for billionaires and big
corporations," Whitehouse continued. "Now they're set on extending those
tax cuts, even though it would blow up the deficit. The Trump tax cuts were
a gift to the ultrarich and a rotten deal for American families and small
businesses. With their impending expiration, we have a chance to undo the
damage, fix our corrupted tax code, and have big corporations and the
ultrawealthy begin to pay their fair share."

Wyden similarly took aim at the GOP, warning that "the Republican tax plan
is to double down on Trump's handouts to corporations and the wealthy, run
the deficit into the stratosphere, and make it impossible to save Medicare
and Social Security or help families with the cost of living in America."

"Republicans have planned all along on making Trump's tax handouts to the
rich permanent, but they hid the true cost with timing gimmicks and a 2025
deadline that threatens the middle class with an automatic tax hike if they
don't get what they want," he argued. "In short, they're focused on helping
the rich get richer, and everybody else can go pound sand. Democrats are
going to stand by our commitment to protect the middle class while ensuring
that corporations and the wealthy pay a fair share."

A new CBO report estimates that extending the Trump tax cuts for the
next 10 years would add $4.6 trillion to the deficit.\n\nRemember this the
next time Republicans propose cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and
Medicaid. \n\nThe "party of fiscal responsibility" is full of it.
— (@)

Groundwork Collaborative executive director Lindsay Owens also responded
critically to the CBO report, saying Wednesday that "extending Trump's tax
law and effectively subsidizing corporate profiteering and billionaire
wealth is a nonstarter."

"This tax law, on top of decades of failed trickle-down cuts, has come at
the expense of workers and families," Owens stressed. "We can't afford 10
more years of giveaways to the wealthy and corporations and fail to invest
in the people who drive our economy. This tax law should expire."

While some of the tax cuts in the 2017 law are temporary—unless they get
extended—the legislation permanently slashed the statutory corporate tax
rate from 35% to 21%. As Common Dreamsreported last week, a new ITEP
analysis shows that tax rates paid by big and consistently profitable
corporations dropped from 22% to 12.8% after the law's enactment.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/trump-tax-cuts
Ford Prefect
2024-05-10 19:46:59 UTC
Post by Borrow & Spend tRUMP
[...]
This one again?

Let's assume what the CBO says is correct (you can't because it doesn't
account for the increased tax receipts that occur under tax cuts), the
IRS would have collected $4.6 billion per year (4.6B/year * 10 years =
4.6T).

Now, let's look at what the IRS says about the debt over those 10 years.
According to CBO stats the total projected debt accumulated over the 10
years of the tax cuts (2018 - 2027) is $17.2 trillion
(https://www.cbo.gov/publication/58946).

Next, let's look at the best case. If there were no tax cuts, and all
else equal, the debt over those 10 years is $12.6 trillion ($17.2T -
$4.6T = $12.6T).

What's the point? This - the $4.6 billion each year that would have been
collected by the IRS under your unicorn and rainbows scenario would have
been spent anyway. There would be no, none, zero, zilch, nada, change to
the deficit/debt. If you think otherwise you're on crack. Don't try to
convince anyone otherwise. It would have been spent.
spaminator
2024-05-10 21:02:36 UTC
Post by Ford Prefect
This one again?
Let's assume what the CBO says is correct (you can't because it doesn't
account for the increased tax receipts that occur under tax cuts), the
IRS would have collected $4.6 billion per year (4.6B/year * 10 years =
4.6T).
ROFL. Your arithmetic skills are broke. Back to 3rd grade for you.

<snip delusional fiction>
Ford Prefect
What's broke? Or were you educated at a public school?
spaminator

Do that arithmetic again. Show your work.
Scout
2024-05-11 12:05:43 UTC
Post by Ford Prefect
Post by spaminator
Post by Ford Prefect
This one again?
Let's assume what the CBO says is correct (you can't because it doesn't
account for the increased tax receipts that occur under tax cuts), the
IRS would have collected $4.6 billion per year (4.6B/year * 10 years =
4.6T).
ROFL. Your arithmetic skills are broke. Back to 3rd grade for you.
What's broke? Or were you educated at a public school?
4.6B/year * 10 years = 46B

On the other hand, lets point out that difference is irrelevant given the
sort of deficits the government is, has, and will continue to produce.

We need to eliminate the power of government to add or increase any taxes.

They get 15% of the GDP (federal, state and local) and they have to live
within their means like everyone else.

Currently that would allow all levels of government to spend $3.81 Trillion.

Another 5% would be applied directly to paying down the existing state and
national debts (and would not apply to new debt)

The FIRST budgetary item would be to pay the interest on any new debt and
paying off 5% of the principle of such debt.

The Secondary budget item would be to service of any bonds sold to the
public to finance large government projects.

The FINAL budget item would be pay for the elected officials.

In short, if the government is going into debt.. they don't get paid.

Further they are prohibited from having any other sources of income.
Yak
2024-05-11 17:26:44 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by Ford Prefect
Post by spaminator
Post by Ford Prefect
[...]
Let's take it even another step further. According to the CBO the total
deficts from the beginning of the Trump tax cuts, and extending them
through 2033, is about $31 trillion. Subtract the $4.6 trillion Trump
tax cuts and you still have $26.4 trillion. Am I supposed to feel better
about this? Especially considering, as Ford correctly noted, even if the
govt collected it they would spend it anyway.
Isle B Noxious
2024-05-10 21:25:20 UTC
Post by Ford Prefect
Post by Borrow & Spend tRUMP
[...]
Well said. The US has a common sense spending problem. Most budgetary
expenditures are no longer targeted to maintain the infrastructure and
promote business opportunities. Instead they are used to reward the party
faithful and pay off criminal governments.
Frank Costello
2024-05-11 02:02:38 UTC
Report Mar 27, 2023
Tax Cuts Are Primarily Responsible for the Increasing Debt Ratio

Without the Bush and Trump tax cuts, debt as a percentage of the economy
would be declining permanently.

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/tax-cuts-are-primarily-responsible-
for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/
pothead
2024-05-11 02:14:52 UTC
Post by Frank Costello
Report Mar 27, 2023
Tax Cuts Are Primarily Responsible for the Increasing Debt Ratio
Without the Bush and Trump tax cuts, debt as a percentage of the economy
would be declining permanently.
https://www.americanprogress.org/article/tax-cuts-are-primarily-responsible-
for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/
Well I live in a high, out of control tax state, NY.
So typically my SALT deduction is quite high and of course the Trump tax cuts capped that so I
thought I was screwed.

As it turned out I actually did better with the increased SD and other incentives so I am happy.
And that is true of most people, especially those who live in states that don't have budgets out of
control like NYS.

Is it perfect?
No.
But for the average bloke it's a good thing.
--
pothead
Joe Biden is the absolute WORST President Of the U.S. ever.
Vote for ANYBODY but Joe Biden in 2024.
Dave Wainwright
2024-05-11 20:34:20 UTC
Report Mar 27, 2023 Tax Cuts Are Primarily Responsible for the
Increasing Debt Ratio
Without the Bush and Trump tax cuts, debt as a percentage of the
economy would be declining permanently.
https://www.americanprogress.org/article/tax-cuts-are-primarily-responsible-
for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/
Well I live in a high, out of control tax state, NY. So typically my
SALT deduction is quite high and of course the Trump tax cuts capped
that so I thought I was screwed.
As it turned out I actually did better with the increased SD and
other incentives so I am happy. And that is true of most people,
especially those who live in states that don't have budgets out of
control like NYS.
Is it perfect? No. But for the average bloke it's a good thing.
The problem is out of control Democrat spending that produces little to
no benefit to the American public.
Fred Barchetta
2024-05-11 11:47:52 UTC
Post by Frank Costello
Report Mar 27, 2023
Tax Cuts Are Primarily Responsible for the Increasing Debt Ratio
Without the Bush and Trump tax cuts, debt as a percentage of the economy
would be declining permanently.
https://www.americanprogress.org/article/tax-cuts-are-primarily-responsible-
for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/
Myth No. 6: The tax cuts caused the federal budget deficit.

Democrats and many Republicans rightly worried that the Tax Cuts and
Jobs Act would contribute unnecessarily to the national debt. However,
claims that the tax cuts are responsible for the federal government’s
poor fiscal health are a misdiagnosis of trends that are decades in the
making.

The TCJA did increase the budget deficit, but the law is not the
underlying cause of the unsustainable U.S. budget. The systemic gap
between revenues and expenditures is driven by sustained growth in
mandatory spending programs since the 1970s.

Repealing the 2017 tax cuts would not change the trajectory of
increasing federal budget deficits. The tax cuts (even if made
permanent) represent only about 16% of the pre-pandemic budget deficit,
*and one year’s projected deficit in 2030 is larger than the entire
10-year cost of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act as passed*

The 2017 tax cuts represented critical structural reforms to the U.S.
tax code that will need to be made permanent in the coming years.
Setting the record straight on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is crucial to
ensuring Congress chooses to keep taxes low and make the 2017 reforms
permanent.

Reversing the tax cuts based on a mischaracterization of the true
effects would make the economic recovery from COVID-19 much more
challenging by increasing costs for American businesses and families.

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/commentary/debunking-6-myths-about-the-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act
Baxter
Heritage is a conservaturd propaganda mill.
Skeeter
Because you don't agree? Who told you it was?
Michael A Terrell
2024-05-11 17:30:41 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Fred Barchetta
[...]
Because you don't agree?
No — because that's what it is.

It's actually a shame, because it didn't used to be. Heritage once was a
respectably conservative outfit. Liberals may not have agreed with their policy
positions, but Heritage analysts and opinion writers made reasonable and
defensible cases for them. They were never strident. Something changed a few
years ago, and they turned much harder right. It's worth noting that Heritage is
the leading group planning Trump's fascist administration if he wins:

What would a second Trump term look like? His bluster on the stump — “I am
your retribution”—contrasts with a first term in office where his menace was
mitigated by his sloth, ignorance and incompetence. But don’t count on that
if he wins in the fall.

This time, the right is intent on turning Trumpism into a governing agenda.
The Heritage Foundation, the right’s premier policy institute, has launched a
multimillion-dollar Project 2025 to recruit, train and plant MAGA operatives
throughout the government, and arm them with clear marching orders.

Project 2025 includes four elements: The 900-plus-page Mandate for
Leadership: The Conservative Promise details the right’s agenda for each
major department and agency in the federal government; the Playbook, a still
secret compilation of executive orders and initiatives for the first 180 days
of the administration; a right-wing “LinkedIn” designed to recruit and vet
thousands of MAGA movement operatives to staff the government; and a
Presidential Administration Academy to train them on how to operate.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/will-the-heritage-foundations-project-2025-turn-trumpism-into-a-governing-agenda/

Trump has already said he's going to be a dictator. Forget that stinking "day
one" bullshit — he means *starting on* day one and continuing for the entire term.

He's not going to win. We're going to stop him. YTIW
Skeeter
2024-05-11 17:40:58 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Fred Barchetta
[...]
You don't know what he meant. "go peacefully".
He's not going to win. We're going to stop him. YTIW
"you' wont be doing anything.
Michael A Terrell
2024-05-11 18:55:40 UTC
On 5/11/2024 10:40 AM, Skeeter-Shit Jack-Off Shit-4-Braincell, convicted child
Post by Skeeter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Fred Barchetta
[...]
You don't know what he meant.
We all know what he meant. He meant he intends to rule as a dictator. That's
what he meant and means.
Wrong, you stupid shit-4-braincell.
Dave Wainwright
2024-05-11 20:39:25 UTC
Post by Michael A Terrell
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Fred Barchetta
[...]
Right is right.
Post by Michael A Terrell
It's actually a shame, because it didn't used to be. Heritage once was a
respectably conservative outfit. Liberals may not have agreed with their
policy positions, but Heritage analysts and opinion writers made
reasonable and defensible cases for them. They were never strident.
Something changed a few years ago, and they turned much harder right.
It's worth noting that Heritage is the leading group planning Trump's
They didn't change. The leftist agendas increased pressure so they
compensated.
Post by Michael A Terrell
[...]
No he didn't, Ball.
Who's "we"? You and a herd of midgets?
Baxter
2024-05-11 23:38:56 UTC
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Heritage is a conservaturd propaganda mill.
Because you don't agree? Who told you it was?
They say so themselves.

Also, they are in the tank for tRump
=========
By placing its people throughout the administration, the Heritage
Foundation has succeeded in furthering its right-wing agenda.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/magazine/trump-government-heritage-
foundation-think-tank.html

=============
Project 2025
The far right has made public its plans for an ‘ideal’ America if one of
their allies wins the 2024 presidential election in its 2025 Presidential
Transition Project. Project 2025 is spearheaded by the far-right think
tank Heritage Foundation and supported by more than 80 organizations,
many well-known for their extreme positions, and for pushing hate and
Christian nationalism.

https://globalextremism.org/project-2025-the-far-right-playbook-for-
american-authoritarianism/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn__r7-
GGhgMVOy2tBh0LjQyREAMYASAAEgIQWPD_BwE
Skeeter
2024-05-12 00:06:23 UTC
In article <v1ovif$2a2f4$***@dont-email.me>, ***@baxcode.com
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
[...]
What's your point? I knew you would have to bring Trump into it. He has
over 100.000 people at his rally.
Baxter
You believe that lie? BTW, you wearing diapers now too?
Skeeter
2024-05-12 12:46:29 UTC
In article <v1pc20$2go26$***@dont-email.me>, ***@baxcode.com
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
[...]
I watched it you moron. It looked like a huge concert.

Dave Wainwright
But they're right. Even Paul Krugman grudgingly admits so now.
Jonathan Ball's dismay
2024-05-11 21:57:14 UTC
On Sat, 11 May 2024 14:53:09 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Baxter
Heritage is
https://www.fairus.org/issues/illegal-immigration

In each of the last fiscal years (FY), a new record was set for illegal immigration in the U.S. In FY 2021, the number of illegal aliens encountered at our borders was 1.957 million. In FY 2022, the number of encounters was 2.767 million. In FY 2023, it was 3.201 million. For comparison, between 2012 and 2020, a period overlapping two different Presidential administrations, there was an average of 560,000 encounters per year.

Currently, there are no signs that illegal immigration will slow. In December 2023, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) encountered over 371,000 illegal aliens at our borders in a single month, the highest ever recorded figure. This has set the U.S. on track to have yet another record year of illegal immigration in FY 2024.

The total number of illegal aliens encountered since Fiscal Year 2020 now stands at over 9.4 million illegal encounters. In addition to those encountered, illegal aliens enter between ports of entry and evade law enforcement, with an estimated number of “gotaways” above 1.7 million since President Biden took office.

Categories of Illegal Aliens Encountered at our Borders
CBP classifies illegal aliens encountered at our borders into four categories 1) Single Adults; 2) Family Unit Aliens; 3) Unaccompanied Children/Single Minors; and 4) Accompanied Minors.

According to CBP, a “Family Unit” represents the number of individuals (either a child under 18 years old, parent or legal guardian) apprehended with a family member by the U.S. Border Patrol. “Unaccompanied Alien Children” are defined in statute as those, under the age of 18, who have no lawful immigration status in the United States and who do not have a parent or legal guardian in the United States available to provide care and physical custody. An “Accompanied Minor” represents a child accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and the parent or legal guardian is either a U.S. citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, or admissible noncitizen, and the child is determined to be inadmissible.

While single adults make up the majority of encounters, there were
455,338 children (outside of family units) encountered by CBP in the
last three years.
Jonathan Ball's dismay
2024-05-11 22:18:05 UTC
On Sat, 11 May 2024 14:53:09 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Baxter
propaganda mill.
https://www.fairus.org/issues/illegal-immigration

Visa Overstays
While the government grants over a million green cards each year that provide permanent residence status, most visas issued are temporary in nature (i.e. nonimmigrant visas) and specify a period of time the alien may stay in the United States. For example, typical tourist or business visas (B1/B2 visa) permit aliens to stay in the U.S. no longer than six months in a given year. If an alien stays beyond that period, he or she falls “out of status.”

Unfortunately, a sizeable portion of illegal aliens in the U.S. consists of aliens overstaying their visas. While estimates have varied over the years, recent numbers suggest that visa overstays account for as much as 40 percent of the illegal alien population. According to the most recent data provided by the Department of Homeland Security, in Fiscal Year 2022, nearly 854,000 nonimmigrant visitors violated the terms of their visas and overstayed in the United States.[1] Over the past four years, the total rate of visa overstays (as a proportion of those expected to depart) has increased, up from 1.21 percent in Fiscal Year 2019 to 3.67 percent in Fiscal Year 2022.[2]

In addition to visa overstayers, aliens who do not require a visa or arrive from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries also overstay the allowed time. VWP nationals visiting the U.S. on business or pleasure in Fiscal Year 2022 accounted for nearly 100,000 overstays.

Size and Cost of Illegal Alien Population
FAIR estimates that at least 16.8 million illegal aliens resided in the
United States as of June 2023.[3] Illegal aliens impose significant
costs on U.S. taxpayers – ranging from shelter, health care,
educational benefits, welfare and tax credits, and incarceration costs.
At the start of 2023, the net cost of illegal immigration for United
States taxpayers – at the federal, state, and local levels – was at
least $150.7 billion.[4]

Fast Facts
There are at least 16.8 million illegal aliens in the United States as of the beginning of 2023.[5]
In Fiscal Year 2023, a record 3.2 million encounters with illegal aliens were recorded at America’s borders.
The majority of illegal aliens are from Latin and Central America. The most commonly encountered nations of origin for illegal immigrants encountered in Fiscal Year 2023 included Mexico, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras and Cuba.
Between Fiscal Year 2022-2023, there was a 60 percent increase in illegal aliens encountered in family units.
In Fiscal Year 2023 alone, nearly 138,000 unaccompanied children were encountered at our borders. That is an average of 378 per day.
In Fiscal Year 2022, there were 853,955 overstays, at a rate of 3.67 percent of all visitors.
For nonimmigrants who entered on a student or exchange visitor visa (F, M, or J visa) in Fiscal Year 2022, the overstay rate was 3.5 percent. More than 9,000 Chinese nonimmigrants overstayed, accounting for more than 16% of all student and exchange overstays reported.
Illegal migration costs the American taxpayer approximately $182.1
billion annually as of the beginning of 2023. Illegal aliens only
contribute around $31.4 billion in taxes at the state and federal
levels, meaning that illegal immigration costs American taxpayers a net
of at least $150.7 billion annually.[6]
Baxter
2024-05-11 23:53:33 UTC
Post by Jonathan Ball's dismay
Size and Cost of Illegal Alien Population
FAIR estimates that at least 16.8 million illegal aliens resided in
the United States as of June 2023.[3] Illegal aliens impose
significant costs on U.S. taxpayers – ranging from shelter, health
care, educational benefits, welfare and tax credits, and incarceration
costs. At the start of 2023, the net cost of illegal immigration for
United States taxpayers – at the federal, state, and local levels
– was at least $150.7 billion.[4]
===========
Undocumented immigrants are paying billions of dollars each year in
taxes. In spite of their undocumented status,

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/topics/tax-contributions

=============
Immigrants in the U.S. contributed more than $330.7 billion in federal
income taxes in 2019, and over $492 billion dollars in total taxes
(including state, municipal, and sales taxes). The Tax Foundation
estimates that American and immigrant taxpayers paid $1.6 trillion in
individual income taxes in 2019. In this context, it’s important to note
that immigrants made up only 13.5% of the U.S. population in 2020,
meaning that immigrants make an outsized contribution to the U.S. revenue
system.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/boundless-releases-2022-immigrant-income-
taxation-report/

============
MYTH #4: “Immigrants increase the budget deficit and government debt.”

FACT: Immigrants in the United States have about a net zero effect on
government budgets — they pay about as much in taxes as they consume in
benefits.

https://www.carnegie.org/our-work/article/15-myths-about-immigration-
debunked/

============
Unauthorized Immigrants Pay Greater Share of Income in State and Local
Taxes Than Top Earners

https://www.cbpp.org/blog/unauthorized-immigrants-pay-greater-share-of-
income-in-state-and-local-taxes-than-top-earners

============
The economic impact of undocumented immigrants in the United States is
challenging to measure and politically contentious. Research shows that
undocumented immigrants increase the size of the U.S. economy/contribute
to economic growth, enhance the welfare of natives, contribute more in
tax revenue than they collect,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_impact_of_illegal_immigrants_in_th
e_United_States
Sam
2024-05-11 03:05:17 UTC
$4.6B a year X 10 years = $46.0B
Scout
2024-05-11 11:54:50 UTC
Post by Borrow & Spend tRUMP
Extending Trump Tax Cuts Would Add $4.6 Trillion to Deficit: CBO
No, it won't.

A deficit results from one thing, and one thing only. Spending more than you
get.

If the government would actually stay within their means.. we could have NO
deficits.. other than perhaps due to war or extreme emergency.

No, what this says is the government wants to spend $4.6 Trillion dollars
more of our money even as people are finding it harder and harder to simply
feed cloth and house themselves.

Enough is enough, hold government accountable for their fiscal
irresponsibility and remove their power to add or increase taxes.

Such should be a matter of PUBLIC referendum and WE decide if government
deserves more of our money or not.

A flat tax that everyone pays, with no exceptions, exclusions or exemptions.
In the event of any deficit, other than war or extreme emergency, elected
officials cease to be paid.