RIP Britain
Incubus
2024-03-01 17:29:34 UTC
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Gimmigrant boats
rescued off the coast of Dover. I watched Postal votes arrive in bulk
near the Rochdale Gate. All those ballot papers will be lost in time
like tears in rain. Time to die or emmigrate."
Farmer Giles
2024-03-02 11:24:27 UTC
Post by Incubus
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Gimmigrant boats
rescued off the coast of Dover. I watched Postal votes arrive in bulk
near the Rochdale Gate. All those ballot papers will be lost in time
like tears in rain. Time to die or emmigrate."
All part of a plan carried out by evil people.

‘An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes.’

Sun Tzu
Incubus
2024-03-04 17:24:25 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Gimmigrant boats
rescued off the coast of Dover. I watched Postal votes arrive in bulk
near the Rochdale Gate. All those ballot papers will be lost in time
like tears in rain. Time to die or emmigrate."
All part of a plan carried out by evil people.
‘An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes.’
Sun Tzu
They'll just become non-doms and it won't even be their own nation.
Given away to people who have contributed nothing but get all the
praise. Soon enough, war memorials will be seen as "problematic" and
removed because they aren't "inclusive" enough. The lists of names of
those who died for this country (and, indeed, in vain) will be seen as
"white supremacy".
Farmer Giles
2024-03-05 07:47:09 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Gimmigrant boats
rescued off the coast of Dover. I watched Postal votes arrive in bulk
near the Rochdale Gate. All those ballot papers will be lost in time
like tears in rain. Time to die or emmigrate."
All part of a plan carried out by evil people.
‘An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes.’
Sun Tzu
They'll just become non-doms and it won't even be their own nation.
Given away to people who have contributed nothing but get all the
praise. Soon enough, war memorials will be seen as "problematic" and
removed because they aren't "inclusive" enough. The lists of names of
those who died for this country (and, indeed, in vain) will be seen as
"white supremacy".
I did write a long reply to this - agreeing with you of course - but it
seems to have disappeared. TB is totally screwedup these days.
Pancho
2024-03-05 09:26:43 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
I did write a long reply to this - agreeing with you of course - but it
seems to have disappeared. TB is totally screwedup these days.
+1, It certainly is.

I'm getting better results by setting it to work offline. But it
complicates things, and it still occasionally refuses to send, and/or
loses posts.

Usenet is getting shitter and shitter, but there doesn't seem to be a
reasonable alternative. I keep hoping someone will develop a p2p
distributed system like BitTorrent, but I guess there is no money in it.
And you would need a filter mechanism to stop governments flooding it
with Peeler style posts.
Farmer Giles
2024-03-05 10:18:30 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
I did write a long reply to this - agreeing with you of course - but
it seems to have disappeared. TB is totally screwedup these days.
+1, It certainly is.
I'm getting better results by setting it to work offline. But it
complicates things, and it still occasionally refuses to send, and/or
loses posts.
Usenet is getting shitter and shitter, but there doesn't seem to be a
reasonable alternative. I keep hoping someone will develop a p2p
distributed system like BitTorrent, but I guess there is no money in it.
And you would need a filter mechanism to stop governments flooding it
with Peeler style posts.
There is an 'OE Classic' (Outlook Express) program that seems to run
quite well.

Problem is it doesn't thread usenet messages, which obviously makes it
difficult to follow conversations. I did contact them about this, and
they said that usenet use is so much in decline these days that it
wasn't a priority for them to sort out.
D. Ray

<https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/>
Farmer Giles
I will, thank you.
Incubus
2024-03-11 12:43:39 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
I did write a long reply to this - agreeing with you of course - but it
seems to have disappeared. TB is totally screwedup these days.
+1, It certainly is.
I'm getting better results by setting it to work offline. But it
complicates things, and it still occasionally refuses to send, and/or
loses posts.
Usenet is getting shitter and shitter, but there doesn't seem to be a
reasonable alternative. I keep hoping someone will develop a p2p
distributed system like BitTorrent, but I guess there is no money in it.
And you would need a filter mechanism to stop governments flooding it
with Peeler style posts.
Usenet was created in the days when the Internet had just become free.
Like most of the protocols of the time, it was developed for use by academic
institutions. Not long after the year 2000, the focus of the Internet
shifted towards commerce. In those days, there was still no Big Tech
presence on-line and Social Media was in its proto phase.

What makes Usenet free is that it is distributed. No one owns it. That
spirit of free cooperation has all but disappeared.

A p2p distributed system would be easy to design. Each client is also a
server and there is your network for distributing messages. It wouldn't
be difficult to "monetise" it either. The problem is, the authorities
don't like freedom of speech, and that includes Big Tech. They know
what a threat we could be to the system if we were able to communicate,
spread ideas and organise. Thus you can guarantee that any new p2p
system would quickly disappear from app stores and the average Internet
user is not "tech savvy" enough to break out of the ecosystem they use.
(Previously, they had to be.)
Pancho
2024-03-11 13:01:48 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
How do you monetise it? Advertising? I'm greedy and have competent friends.
Post by Incubus
The problem is, the authorities
don't like freedom of speech, and that includes Big Tech. They know
what a threat we could be to the system if we were able to communicate,
spread ideas and organise.
Goes without saying in ukpm.
Fortunately we still have browsers and web apps.
Incubus
2024-03-11 15:56:27 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Incubus
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Advertising is one way, either directly or through selling metadata.

Subscription is also an option, perhaps have various "tiers" of service
where bandwidth caps are lifted.
Post by Pancho
Post by Incubus
The problem is, the authorities
don't like freedom of speech, and that includes Big Tech. They know
what a threat we could be to the system if we were able to communicate,
spread ideas and organise.
Goes without saying in ukpm.
It would be very difficult for the government to block a distributed
service. With encryption properly implemented, they won't be able to
analyse packets.
Post by Pancho
Post by Incubus
Thus you can guarantee that any new p2p
system would quickly disappear from app stores and the average Internet
user is not "tech savvy" enough to break out of the ecosystem they use.
(Previously, they had to be.)
Fortunately we still have browsers and web apps.
Easy to trace people though.

It's interesting looking at the so-called free speech apps like Telegram
and Gab. Telegram must be either secure or not currently of interest to
the government because I know people who have used it to buy heroin and
coke.

The Dissenter browser plugin was amazing. A breath of fresh air. I
think it lasted a couple of weeks.

Incubus
2024-03-11 12:29:33 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
[...]
You could try installing Seamonkey (browser suite). It is a fork of the
Mozilla project and has the e-mail/usenet client that eventually went on
to become Thunderbird. Make sure you get the 64-bit version, though, as
the website seems to default to the 32-bit binaries.

It could also be a problem with the Usenet server, though.